[Sca-cooks] Rose Hips?

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Wed May 1 14:14:26 PDT 2002

On Wed, 1 May 2002 10:48:14 -0700 lilinah at earthlink.net writes:
>Has anyone found "period" recipes that are actually for rose hips? I
>haven't seen any, yet  there was so much use of rosewater from rose
>petals, they had to be growing lots of roses. Didn't the cultivators
>let the roses make hips? Or does it takes a type of rose that didn't
>exist then? Or what?

Forme of Cury (pg. A 22, Cariadoc's cookbook collection.)

Sawse Sarzyne

   Take hepp and make hem clene.  take Almand blanched.  frye hem i oile
and bray hem in a mort with hepp.  drawe it up with rede wyne, and do þin
sug ynowh with Powdo fort.   lat it be stondyng, and alay it with flo of
rys.  and colo it with alkanet and messe it forth and florish it with
Pome garnet.  If  þ wilt in flesshe day, seeþ Capons and take the brawn
and tese hem smal and do þto.  and make the lico of þis broth.

    I made all the long s characters regular s character.  The word ynowh
has the character that looks like a cursive written z  (I can *never*
remember the name of that fool letter!!).  Skeat's *Etymological
Dictionary* (1883, Clarendon Press--it's an oldie but a goodie, and it
was only $.50!)  says that hep or hip is the fruit of the dog-rose, and
it comes from the Anglo-Saxon  heóþ-brymel, a hip-bramble.

   The author of the edition of Forme of Cury in Cariadoc's collection
speculates that 'sarzyne' is Saracen, and Skeat notes the fourteenth
century 'Richard Coer de Lion'  uses  'sarezyn' for saracen.

   Elizabeth