[Sca-cooks] OT question-

Patrick McKinnion patgund at earthlink.net
Wed May 1 21:03:50 PDT 2002

On 5/1/02 8:09 PM, "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at efn.org>  sat on a tribble, which
squeaked:

> Has anyone gotten any weird mail that is supposedly from me, with an
> attachment? Earlier today I got a mail failure notice for something that I
> didn't send out, and I am mystified as to why. it would be difficult to get
> most virii in, due to the firewall that tha been set up, though I have
> gotten a couple of suspiscious attachments recently that I've deleted
> without opening (always a good tactic when you get something you don't
> recognize).

    Sounds like someone was infected with Klez.   This particular virus
spoofs the "From:" line on an email, using addresses found in the infected
PC's address book, so the address that shows up on the email is *not* the
address of the person who sent it.   And since it has it's own SMTP engine,
once active, it doesn't need an email programme to send copies of itself
out, along with random subject lines and random .jpg or .htm files from the
infected PC's drive.

    I've been notified that several emails with my address on it had the
Klez virus.   However, I run Mac OS X and it's impossible for this PC virus
to work on my system.   Investigation found they were sent from a friend
with my address on their PC.   The header information can usually ID where
it came from.

    SARC (http://www.sarc.com/) has downloadable tools to detect and remove
this virus.

    YIS
    - Padraig o Connell

"This is about as exciting as the Mosh Pit at a Clannad concert."