[Sca-cooks] darioles

phoenissa at netscape.net phoenissa at netscape.net
Thu May 2 21:06:40 PDT 2002

Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1 at comcast.net> wrote:

>Actually, what we do when we make Darioles for our group here, we do a wine
>sauce for strawberries (sugar, red wine, cinnamon...maybe a dash of lemon
>juice), and served that with the darioles (we usually put a strawberry that
>had been "dunked" in the sauce in the center of each individual pie.  Works
>pretty well.

Mmm, that sounds fabulous!  Maybe I'll try that next time.

>I would tend to go with half and half, I think...would make them richer and
>creamier.
>
>Kiri

Well, I ended up using full cream.  They came out quite well; I colored half of them green with parsley, and half yellow with saffron.  They saffron ones didn't take much color, but tasted pleasantly mild; the parsley ones were a lovely minty green, but unfortunately, they tasted like parsley too, which I didn't care for :-(  Maybe next time I'll use mint or basil.

Oh, and I learned a little something about the fun of working from period recipes: for this demo, one of my friends made a tart using that 15th or 16thc English "short paeste" recipe...I forget what book it's from.  Anyway, the cool thing was, I used the same recipe to make the crust for the darioles, and honestly, no one would have ever guessed our two pies were made from the same instructions!  The texture and flavor were completely different, since we used different proportions of ingredients, different types of flour, etc.  It was really cool to see how different the results were - and a reminder of how far off any of our interpretations could be from the "original" version.  Very educational. :)

Vittoria