[Sca-cooks] Anglo Saxon Cusine

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu May 2 21:14:56 PDT 2002

Serena da Riva (16th century Italian persona) said:
> Our Barony has decided that our upcoming event in November is going to be a
> one day teaching collegium on the Anglo Saxon culture.
>
> I have decided to push myself outside of my realm of comfort (Late period
> mostly) and commit to teach a class on Anglo Saxon food. Since I know
> absolutely nothing about this subject I will have to do a goodly bit of
> research on the subject in order to teach it (hence pushing myself).

You may want to get a hold of these books:
Hagen, Ann. A SECOND HANDBOOK OF ANGLO-SAXON FOOD & DRINK: PRODUCTION &
DISTRIBUTION. Anglo-Saxon Books. 1995.  An excellent book about the foods
available in that time period, and information on how they were eaten. Not a
cookbook, but good information about the food and foodways.  HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Hagen, Ann. A HANDBOOK OF ANGLO-SAXON FOOD. Processing and Consumption.
Anglo-Saxon Books, Nisslwawx, England. 1992.  This is not a cookbook per say,
but a book about Anglo-Saxon food and foodways.  HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Also, there is also this file in the Florilegium:
fd-Anglo-Saxn-msg  (9K)  6/ 8/00    Food of Anglo-Saxon England. References.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Anglo-Saxn-msg.html
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net