[Sca-cooks] Anglo Saxon Cusine

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri May 3 07:36:25 PDT 2002

Besides the two Hagen books on Anglo-Saxon foods
that were mentioned by Rob Downie and Stefan and
the material in the Florilegium, you should
consider this publication:

Magennis, Hugh. Anglo-Saxon Appetites. Food and
Drink and Their Consumption in Old English and
Related Literature. Dublin, Ireland: Four Courts
Press, 1999. ISBN: 1-85182-382-4. It is footnoted
and has a substantial bibliography on pp. 171-188.

By the way, Devra carries the Hagen volumes at
 http://www.poisonpenpress.com/cookery.html.
Magennis can be hard to find and expensive. Try
interlibrary loan for that one.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway