[Sca-cooks] impoverished college students

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun May 5 21:43:37 PDT 2002

At 11:16 PM 5/5/02 -0500, you wrote:
>But Misha, you've expressed an interest in the true "Medieval"
>experience. Many (most?) college students in medieval times were
>impoverished. There are period letters writing home asking for more
>money.

Many. Even the Paston letters have them- "Mom, send money for a new coat
and some stockings- I am out of pens and writing paper, and by the way we
are out of coal and it is too cold to write unless I crawl into bed, and oh
I need warm bedclothes too..." There are letters asking the family to send
candles so the kid can study at night, and also pleas for money to pay off
bar tabs and gambling debts (which were something like expected expenses-
even moneies specified that are so the student may go and have a pint with
his friends once in awhile...).

Naturally my materials are... yeah. In Sutherlin. But if you were to do a
Google on 'medieval university' you would probably find enough to look at
that you could avoid your homework for days... ;-)

'Lainie