[Sca-cooks] Spring plantings

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Mon May 6 15:26:48 PDT 2002

> It's High Spring and I haven't seen much on the list of who's planting
what.
> Akim

    Not here in Central Montana. <big sad sigh> There has been "snow
showers" the majority of the day, and Spring crops up on the days I can't
get outside coz of "other things."

    Anyway,  I'm waiting to plant Asparagus in the herbal bed extension, and
I have Rhubarb to plant next to the old plant that came with the house.  For
whomever had the question: the directions say to plant in well-drained soil
in the sun.  Set the crowns just below ground level.  Fertilize liberally
and keep the soil moist & free of weeds.  Remove the flower spikes as they
appear.   The spacing should be 3 - ft apart.   You don't harvest the first
year, and little the second.  After that, the stems should be plentiful, and
you can harvest throughout the late spring/eary summer.    I have peonies
waiting to go in the front yard too.

    Caointiarn  {who may get to plant on Mothers Day}