[Sca-cooks] cormarye

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon May 6 22:58:14 PDT 2002

Bear replied to me with:
> Cormarye is fairly common because it is an easy to prepare pork roast.  The
> more difficult or more unusual the dish, the less likely you will find it at
> a feast.

How do you figure this? I would think it would be the simpler, less
grandiose foods that would not show up at a period feast. At lot of
the feast seems to have been for show. Thus fancy meats, embellished
items, fancy sotelties etc. And again I would expect the cookbooks
to have a heavier percentage of fancy, more difficult to fix recipes.
If it is simple enough, or common enough, who needs to put it into
a book?

Most of the recipes I happen to have for cormarye, at least under
that name, seem to be the one in the Curye of English(?). I will
agree that it may show up in other cookbooks and folks just keep
reusing the one from this one book. But if it was real common, like
frumente, I'd expect to see multiple recipes using different sources.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net