[Sca-cooks] OT, OOP - virus problem

Patrick McKinnion patgund at earthlink.net
Wed May 8 00:01:49 PDT 2002

On 5/7/02 3:30 PM, "Philippa Alderton" <phlip_u at yahoo.com>  sat on a
tribble, which squeaked:

> This one comes in disguise, folks- it gets into your
> email system and sends out emails to your addressees,
> using one of their addresses as the sender.

    Yeah I know.  I got some nasty grams back from some people about sending
them a virus - however, I use Entourage X under Mac OS X 10.1.4, and Klez
can't affect my machine.  (I also use Norton AntiVirus as a safety measure)

    We had a major oops with Klez at my work.   Someone here at work's home
PC was infected, and sent copies to our all-lab email address.  Since the
lab I maintain is 95% Mac, not a problem.   However, Klez also grabs a
random document from the infected drive and sends it along as well.   In
this case, the document was an MS Word file with a rather long, steamy, and
detailed S&M fantasy the co-worker had written about her s/o.   I managed to
keep it from 2/3rds of the machines, but only by shutting down and removing
that email from the server before the other machines could download their
email.

    *Not* fun.....

    - Padraig o Connell

"         ," said Pooh, forgetting his lines.