[Sca-cooks] Sausage question?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed May 8 08:36:37 PDT 2002

Also sprach jenne at fiedlerfamily.net:
>How much sausage casing would we need to make sausages out of 30 lbs
>ground pork?

Exact amounts are hard to determine, since there will be variations
in diameter, you'll probably bust a couple of pieces, etc.

The smallest packaged consignment of casings (normally pork is the
default) is about a pound (gross, not net) of semi-dry casings,
including enough salt to pack them in. That should be enough for your
30 lbs, but maybe not quite enough for 35 pounds. I mention this as a
gauge of how close it could be. You might consider getting two
packages (they often come in a plastic tub, a bit like spreadable
margarine), but any you don't use (soak only what you think you'll
need) will keep for quite a while, maybe a year or more in the
freezer, packed in their salt. They also aren't expensive in
comparison to the cost of the other ingredients you'll be using. You
can probably get two packs for $5 or less.

And if you get them from a butcher, ask him how much he thinks you'll need.

Adamantius