[Sca-cooks] Sausage question?

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed May 8 09:20:12 PDT 2002

> The smallest packaged consignment of casings (normally pork is the
> default) is about a pound (gross, not net) of semi-dry casings,
> including enough salt to pack them in. That should be enough for your
> 30 lbs, but maybe not quite enough for 35 pounds. I mention this as a
> gauge of how close it could be. You might consider getting two
> packages (they often come in a plastic tub, a bit like spreadable
> margarine), but any you don't use (soak only what you think you'll
> need) will keep for quite a while, maybe a year or more in the
> freezer, packed in their salt. They also aren't expensive in
> comparison to the cost of the other ingredients you'll be using. You
> can probably get two packs for $5 or less.

Ok. Thank you. That's a big help.
I don't suppose someone on the list can describe how to stuff sausage
with a KitchenAid sausagestuffing attachment? Or how to stuff sausage
period? I know I've made polish sausage but I was less than 12 at the time
and I think we did it by hand. There is, as the prospective sausage-making
person/assistant said, always the 'try it and see if it works' method but
the potential for messy comedy is a bit much for me. :)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa