[Sca-cooks] OT-apple dumpling question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed May 8 08:58:23 PDT 2002

Also sprach Mercedes/Stephanie:
>I want to make apple dumplings for my MIL for Mother's Day - she likes the
>type that are basically a whole baked apple in pie dough... The question is,
>which apples would work best for that?  I'm not a huge cooked apple fan so
>most of my knowledge is based on raw apples........
>
>Mercedes

A lot of this is going to be regional, but we can try.

Good cooking apples would include Cortlandts, McIntoshes, Ida Reds,
Romes, Johnathans, Macouns, Winesaps.

The only non-regional-specific information I can give is you want to
avoid Red or Golden Delicious (which grow both on the East and West
Coasts, but what's the point?), and there's always Granny Smith's,
which are mostly imported anyway, so wherever you are you're likely
to find them.

Adamantius