[Sca-cooks] Sausage question?

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed May 8 08:10:53 PDT 2002

> Ok. Thank you. That's a big help.
> I don't suppose someone on the list can describe how to stuff sausage
> with a KitchenAid sausagestuffing attachment? Or how to stuff sausage
> period? I know I've made polish sausage but I was less than 12 at the time
> and I think we did it by hand. There is, as the prospective sausage-making
> person/assistant said, always the 'try it and see if it works' method but
> the potential for messy comedy is a bit much for me. :)
>
> -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa

Well, you use the grinder attachment only without the plate with the holes
in it, and without the blade. Attach the plastic sausage horn securely
(it's at home, so I can't help with specifics here). We greased ours with
Crisco, although many people on the list insist you don't need it. Take a
length of sausage casing that's been soaking, rinse it out (thread a bit
of it on the faucet and let the water run), then thread it onto the
sausage horn. Tie a knot in the end and make sure the knot is right up
against the mouth of the horn.

Then start the motor on a low speed ("Stir" works pretty well) and start
mashing the ground-up meat/fat/spice mixture into the hopper. This is
really a two-person job, with one person feeding the hopper and the other
handling the sausages as they come out. You'll want to give the casing a
twist or two every sausage-length--this takes a little practice to get
good at, but not a lot of practice.

You'll have to stop the motor to add more casing, when you reach the end
of the filled casing. You may have to squish some of the filling out to
have enough slack to tie a knot in the end.

Then we boil them and freeze them. Poke holes in any air bubbles. We also
fry up a bit and taste, as we are seasoning the mix, to make sure it's the
right balance of flavors.

You may want to lock any cats or dogs out of the kitchen.

Margaret (who now wants to make sausage again as well as apple dumplings)