[Sca-cooks] Japanese (was: What did they..)

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed May 8 13:43:16 PDT 2002

>It's the "I want
> to dress in a choli, or be a member of the Chinese Court, or a member of
> Sulyman's Court and dress that way too, even 'while being a visitor to
> Europe'" that is bugging me. Not bugging me a lot, and certainly not enough
> to be rabid about it, but more with a sense of sorrow for what we're losing.
> We're losing medieval Europe. We're losing that romantically-induced dream
> of the Golden Age of Chivalry. We're becoming a "culture" if you will, of
> "anyone who might have existed anytime, anywhere before 1600, or anyone who
> wants to bang folks with sticks, or bang drums, and is willing to wear
> something remotely "oldish" to do it in".

*shrug* Where I come from, I see the threat as being less the Non-european
cultures than the culture of 'who cares'? If someone wnats to make an
effort to do non-European culture, I'd rather see that than a floofy
shirt, leather vest, jeans and amry boots.Or mundanes with a tabard over
it. Or tunic with tshirt with jeans and Doc Martins. I'm not talking about
newbies, here. I'm talking about long-term members of the SCA. And don't
even get me started about peers who don't bother with Garb on Friday night
of a camping event.

One comfort I've found is that many of the small proportion of non-western
personas I see are doing actual research and re-creation
-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa