[Sca-cooks] Japanese (was: What did they..)

vongraph vongraph at earthlink.net
Wed May 8 20:13:23 PDT 2002

As I said in the first post, out of period :) OK give you the benefit of the
doubt, nearly out of period and difinitely NOT Samauri :) I thought we went
to 1550 now to allow the musketeers? Anyway next statement covered that They
did not per sec "go" as much as they were taken by the Priests as
"trophies" of the converts by the priests that went to Japan along with the
silk,.gold, opium traders from Portegual and Spain. There was not a problem
with killing them on their return from what I understand because they were
under the protection of the church and at that time the Shogun was afraid of
losing the trade in silks from China. They also had been disowned by their
clans for joining the church. Even though the Ruling party in Japan
tolerated the church they still hated round eyes. My remark about the level
of zenophobia and racism in Japan was directed more towards the era we are
speaking of than truely the present though even in today's world the
Japanese are still very high on the list of both emotions. My ex
mother-in-law and I were talking once, I remarked how my wife was very
liberal about Americans.  My mother in law remarked "she had been raised
properly and with good manners, she had been taught to treat round eyes as
though they WERE people:) I love the Japanese and their culture and their
history, but I also know how they feel about anone not Japanese. That is
what I was basing my statements on.

YIS, Elric

A note before anyone goes there, my wife was killed in car accident nearly
28 years ago, my opinions are not based on a nasty divorce that made me
dislike the Japanese. I study and teach Kendo, Kenjutsu and Iado I have
studied a bit of the culture:)