[Sca-cooks] Civil War (was Japanese (was: What did they..))

Jane Williams jane at williams.nildram.co.uk
Thu May 9 14:27:11 PDT 2002

Mike Newton <melcnewt at netins.net> wrote :

> It is called the English Civil War because it was English vs. English.

Well, yes, but I believe the original question was why only *that* one was called the Civil War, when there were so many of them?

Pulling quote back up from bottom of messge..

> > Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com>
> wrote :
> >
> > > ...English Civil War (why does a country whose history
> > > includes so many Civil Wars have only one they call that?)

Yep.

In in fact it's only called the "English" civil war by foreigners. We call it "The Civil War", because those in other countries don't really count :)

> They are Called Civil wars from Civic and the Latin word it was spawned
> from, meaning a war between rival governments in the same land.

Ah, thanks.

So far web-searching has told me that the Victorians called it the Great Civil War (or the Great Rebellion) because it was so much bigger in scope than all the others. Apparently it went right from the Isle of Wight up to northern Scotland in its effects. I never knew all this stuff: school history stopped with the Stuarts.

Armnies marching up and down the length of the country: I wonder how much cultural stuff was getting mixed for the first time? Recruit from Scotland ending up in Cornwall and demanding his haggis at the inn?