OT [Sca-cooks] Japanese (was: What did they..)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu May 9 08:49:03 PDT 2002

Also sprach Mike Newton:
>I have no problem with Far-Eastern personas. My peeve is Romans and the like
>from before the fall of Rome.  Now while our Latest Prince of Northshield
>was Roman and was a very good Prince. I just don't see this era as being
>period.

Certainly you can make that claim. On the other hand, it was in
emulation of the Romans and their organization that chieftains became
kings, and tribes became kingdoms. Feudalism is a modified throwback
to certain Roman military practices. King Arthur, if he was real at
all, became immortal trying to keep the light of Roman civilization
alive in the advancing Dark Ages. The East Anglian king buried in his
armor at Sutton Hoo copied the Romans as an example, to him, of
majesty. So did Charlemagne.

The Romans did have a role in much of went on in the Middle Ages. I
can see questioning the relevance of, say, King Tarquin or Sulla's
dictatorship, but the Middle Ages (or at least the Dark Ages) had
already begun in places like Britain before the "fall of Rome".

Which, again, is probably why the governing documents of the SCA
don't mention an early cut-off date.

G, Tacitus Adamantius, not in the least bit biased