[Sca-cooks] aside to Rosine

Rosine rosine at sybercom.net
Thu May 9 09:52:49 PDT 2002

>     Yep! But in case he didn't say--he needs Celts in
> part if MTA is to succeed for next year.  But I have
> a sneaking suspicion the menu won't change too much!
>
>     Elizabeth

he he hehe... so he *needs* me, huh? Good!

   Actually, I visited the MTA (military through the Ages) demo that he was
at in Williamsburg a couple of months ago (found some nice stockings and woo
hoo! Bone spoons and some really nice metal pots). It was the first time
that the penny dropped and I realised that they actually do cook "as close
to period food, in as close to period manner" as they can. I had been under
the impression that it was one of those demos where there's a "stage" area
and the coolers and hibachi were hidden in the back. (They are, but only as
a last resort either-we-go-off-site-or-cook-this kind of thing.) I've been
reading up on Anglo-Saxon foods since then on the assumption that they
wouldn't have been too different in upper Britain (just west of Northumbria)
during the same time period. I'm afraid that I'm just too ignorant right now
to be useful. But I'm looking forward to getting more involved.

Rosine