[Sca-cooks] aside to Rosine

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Thu May 9 10:14:49 PDT 2002

On Thu, 9 May 2002 12:52:49 -0400 "Rosine" <rosine at sybercom.net> writes:

> It was the first
>time
>that the penny dropped and I realised that they actually do cook "as
>close
>to period food, in as close to period manner" as they can.

    Yeah, it's only when the Commonwealth of Virginia outlaws ground
fires that Master Thomas's Weber comes out! ;p

 I had been
>under
>the impression that it was one of those demos where there's a "stage"
>area
>and the coolers and hibachi were hidden in the back. (They are, but
>only as
>a last resort either-we-go-off-site-or-cook-this kind of thing.)

  Cynara and I were talking about having a  hidden, more modernized
staging area at Highland Games this year (against the rules at MTA).  We
were caught with our pants done last year, as the cook (me) was from out
of state, and apparently there had been little discussion prior to the
days of what to do in the case of drought.  (PA hadn't reached
ground-fire bans at that point!)  Because that is the bulk of what people
eat at the demo (tasty and *much* less expensive than on site food), it
is an issue.  My problem is that I have a difficult time demo-ing and
cooking at the same time, which would make a more modern area useful--a
place to 'escape the questions' for a moment or two.  Finnr will have
something to say about it, though!

> I've
>been
>reading up on Anglo-Saxon foods since then on the assumption that they
>wouldn't have been too different in upper Britain (just west of
>Northumbria)
>during the same time period. I'm afraid that I'm just too ignorant
>right now
>to be useful.

 I limited myself to finds in Scandinavia and Scandinavian-influenced
England, with Hagen as a comparision, but that was my conclusion.

>But I'm looking forward to getting more involved.

   Cool, cool, cool!!

   Elizabeth