[Sca-cooks] Re: Civil War

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu May 9 10:02:06 PDT 2002

Actually it has to do with the meaning of civil that
relates to "of or pertaining to
citizens (f. civis citizen), their private rights, etc.,
 hence relating to the body of citizens or commonwealth,
 political, public;".

It was a civil war because "such as occur among
 fellow-citizens or within the limits of one community."
OED notes this quotation from the period:
1649 Bp. Reynolds Hosea vi. 104
 We are now under the heavy calamity of a Civill warre.

In this case people living then as it was ongoing were
already calling it a "Civill warre."

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis