[Sca-cooks] Civil War (was Japanese (was: What did they..))

Patrick McKinnion patgund at earthlink.net
Thu May 9 11:38:20 PDT 2002

on 5/9/02 9:20 AM, Dan Phelps at phelpsd at gate.net wrote:

> Ok I'll bite, obligatory food content, :-? what about the Wars of the Roses
> and that earlier little unpleasantness between  Stephon and Maude

    Stephon & Maude and the Wars of the Roses were wars of succession, not
civil wars.   In neither of these cases, was the country in danger of being
torn apart.   The "English" Great Civil War did threaten the stability of
the country.

    Contrast this to the two Civil Wars that the US has been involved in.
The first, (what we in the US call the American Revolution, and people in
the UK call the American Civil War) did tear apart the country in question,
that being Great Britain, (The USA couldn't be seen as an independent
country until it was fought and the Colonialists won.)  The second was the
American Civil War / The War of States Rights / The War of Northern
Aggression / That Recent Unpleasantness (depending on what part of the US
you live in).   In that case, the country was in danger of being torn apart,
though it eventually was reunified, as the CSA did not win it's
independence.   (and I won't even go into the argument on if that was good
or bad......I'm not going there at all.)

    - Padraig o Connell

I doubt they would get a clue even if Blue and Steve themselves came in and
pummeled them mercilessly with a sledgehammer with Blue's pawprint stamped
on the business end.
(http://home.earthlink.net/~patgund)  ICQ# 5527565
Patrick's Ever-Growing Tagline Collection:
(http://home.earthlink.net/~patgund/tagline/)