[Sca-cooks] Planting in my garden

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu May 9 10:51:39 PDT 2002

Saffron is a fall bloomer.  You shouldn't really even have any shoots at all
right now.  Now till after Pennsic and then some.  It is common not to have
any blossoms the first year, the second excpect a few, by the third and
fourth year you should do well.  They come up so late in the garden that I
used to paint stones next to where I had the bulbs planted so I wouldn't put
something on them.  You do know to pick the flowers when they bloom out on
the first day?  And the aroma is so wonderful!  Wish they could bottle that!
Olwen