[Sca-cooks] Re: (Period cookery questions)

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu May 9 12:21:05 PDT 2002

>     It's the addition of buckwheat.  If by buckwheat, Hagen means
> Kasha--a grain I associate with Russia--it is the only time she mentions
> it in the second volume.  I know it's used to make pancakes (and
> blini????) and a natural foods industry ready to eat cereal.

Buckwheat, which is a grain, is used modernly for some kinds of foods. It
is supposed to be gluten-free (though if I were celiac I would not trust
it myself.) It can be grown in the US, similar to wheat, rye, and barley.

KASHA, which can be made of buckwheat, is a kind of groats. Groats are
crushed/ground grain. Kasha in the US is usually made of buckwheat, but
millet, wheat and other kinds of kasha have been mentioned historically
in Europe.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa