[Sca-cooks] Hagen on cardamom/grains

Jane Williams jane at williams.nildram.co.uk
Thu May 9 23:54:53 PDT 2002

On 9 May 2002 at 11:42, Elizabeth A Heckert wrote:

>    Pg. 183:  "The spices Bede left to his brethren are said to have
> included lavender, aniseed, buckwheat, cinnamon, cloves, cubebs,
> coriander, cardamom ('grains of paradise' so called because they were
> thought to float down the Nile from the earthly paradise), cypress roots
> (galingale)  ginger (raw and preserved) gromic, liquorice, and sugar (as
> well as pepper)."
>
>    Hagen footnotes the parenthetical aside on grain as being from Kuper,
> *The Antropologist's Cookbook*, 1977, and footnotes the end of the
> sentence referencing  *The  Seven Centuries' Cookbook*, by Maxime
> McKendry.

Having pulled the McKendry off the shelf, it looks as
if Ann Hagen did an almost straight copy
"cardamom (called grains of paradise), cypress roots
(called garmgale, galmgale, or galyngale).." and
added the bit about floating down the Nile from
another source.

I can ask her if you like? But I'm not sure it would
achieve much.

BTW, I seem to remember that last year, she was
considering producing an Anglo-Saxon recipe
collection. Should I be making encouraging noises
about it and telling her that lots of people would buy?