[Sca-cooks] medieval scandinavian sources

Jane Williams jane at williams.nildram.co.uk
Thu May 9 14:19:39 PDT 2002

On 9 May 2002 at 12:49, El Hermoso Dormido
wrote:

> anybody
> know a good source for medieval scandinavian cookery?  Beyond the fact
> that there was evidently a lot of Herring in it, I don't seem to be finding
> much about medieval food in the region so far...).

I know I was playing with some Scandinavian stuff
last year...  and I found it on-line... yes, got it.

"The socalled Harpestreng cookbook (13th century)"
http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/harp-
kkr.htm

That wonderful Gloaning page again.

I was discussing it on the GodeCookery list last
autumn, and a friendly Norwegian managed to
translate bits of it for me. I could probably find the
results if you  like, with a bit of hunting. Lots of
methods of preserving things, and some chicken
kebabs.