[Sca-cooks] statistical studies

El Hermoso Dormido ElHermosoDormido at dogphilosophy.net
Thu May 9 16:35:41 PDT 2002

On Thursday 09 May 2002 11:24 am, jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:
> So, here's a suggestion: what about people taking on statistical studies
> of particular texts and series of text in terms of how many recipes for
> what foods, what raw ingredients, what spices, what techniques were used
> in the recipes in that text?

I've been thinking about this.  Some of the online references are formatted in
such a way that it wouldn't be too difficult for me to parse them into
individual recipes and import them into the database server I've got here.
The online translation of Libre del Coch, for example, would be a snap to
parse into "recipe title" and "recipe" for importation.

(I'd eventually like to do this with enough references to be able to do things
like have the computer sift through the recipes and tell me, for example,
"in which area and period would one most likely encounter dishes combining
lamb and nutmeg" or "which meats most commonly appear in pottages around
France during the 1300's" or whatnot...  Thank God for "Perl Compatible
Regular Expressions"...)