[Sca-cooks] medieval scandinavian sources

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu May 9 20:24:02 PDT 2002

>On 9 May 2002 at 12:49, El Hermoso Dormido
>wrote:
>
>>  anybody
>>  know a good source for medieval scandinavian cookery?  Beyond the fact
>>  that there was evidently a lot of Herring in it, I don't seem to be finding
>>  much about medieval food in the region so far...).
>
>I know I was playing with some Scandinavian stuff
>last year...  and I found it on-line... yes, got it.
>
>"The socalled Harpestreng cookbook (13th century)"
>http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/harp-
>kkr.htm

The problem is that it isn't Scandinavian. At least, according to
Rudolf Grewe, who is the one who put together an article about the
various surviving versions, they are all daughter manuscripts of a
lost original that he thinks was southern European. The manuscripts
are from Scandinavia (including Iceland--and perhaps one or two from
northern Germany), but the recipes, according to him, are not.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/