[Sca-cooks] furign foods

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri May 10 07:02:34 PDT 2002

Richard Pillsbury in a really aptly named book
NO FOREIGN FOOD The American Diet in Time and
Place discusses the evolution of America's foodways
from the colonial through the exotic mix that makes
up the 21st century diet. I don't have a copy but
another view on this subject is the new Hungering for
America. Italian, Irish and Jewish Foodways in the Age
of Migration by Hasia R. Diner which Harvard has just
released. There was a review in NYT Book Review on 5/5.

As for a seventeenth century view, one could look at
Robert May who in one part acknowledges his travels abroad
and then in another says that "the French by their
Infinuations, not without enough ignorance, have
bewitcht fome of of the Gallants of our Nation with
Epigram Difhes..." He then starts off his recipe
section with a recipe for an "Olio Podrida".

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:snipped