[Sca-cooks] statistical studies

El Hermoso Dormido ElHermosoDormido at dogphilosophy.net
Fri May 10 09:16:50 PDT 2002

On Friday 10 May 2002 06:58 am, Elaine Koogler wrote:
> Ooooo...that sounds like a wonderful idea.  Would you consider sharing it?
> I have access to MS Access and Oracle 8i.  And I think MS SQL Server may be
> on this machine as well.
>
> Kiri

Gladly - it's no FUN if I can't share it and show off :-)

But...MS Access?  Blasphemy!

Access to the data on my own system will be on MySQL, with the
interface code being in PHP, with GUI stuff done with nice, portable
HTML/Javascript where necessary (so all you need's a browser to use it).
(http://www.mysql.com and http://www.php.net, and http://www.apache.org for
the webserver, respectively)

Fortunately, all of these are "legally free" (i.e. both free in the
same sense as "free beer" [i.e. doesn't cost money] AND free in the
sense of "free speech" [i.e. you can do whatever you want with them,
including legally make copies for other people]), and available
for Windows as well as Linux (and BSD and probably Mac OSX as well...)

On the other hand, if anyone's positively "married" to a proprietary-only
system, the data will also be openly exportable in a nice portable
format, so the exported files can then be imprisoned by a proprietary
product if you want....

(OUCH!  Dagnabbit...I hate when my knee jerks like that :-)   Sorry, you hit
a 'button' - I just had to deal with the painful process of extracting some
SCA Precedence information out of the proprietary MS Access format that it
was buried in.....)

If I get a chance, I may attempt the first setup to import "Libre del Coch" -
if I do, I'll see about making the code and resulting data available...

Signed
El Hermoso Dormido - Rabid Penguinista and incurable Nerd...