[Sca-cooks] Gytha's Cooking Safety Tip of the Day:

Avraham haRofeh goldberg at bestweb.net
Fri May 10 16:13:17 PDT 2002

> Important safety tip.  Thanks for the help, Gytha!  <grin>  (I slipped
> into Ghostbusters, but I'm back now) I'm glad everything's all right.  I
> have to admit, though, that, when I'm in a hurry to do something, I
> -don't- think about what metals our pots are.
>
> Selene dearest, do we even -have- a double boiler?
>
> Jared the easily confused 'cause he's autocratting tomorrow.
>
> Erika Thomenius wrote:
>

> > Never, ever use 2 pots of differing metals when jerry-rigging a
> > double-boiler.  A small explosion may result.

Using pots for double boilers is bad all around. The whole idea of a double
boiler is to cook the food in the upper chamber using only steam heat from
the lower chamber. Most dedicated double boiler sets have way too much
contact between the two chambers, allowing much heat transfer to the upper
pot via conduction. To minimize conduction, I use a metal bowl over a pot -
it only touches at the rim of the pot, and it CAN'T seal into the pot as
Gytha's did.

Avraham