[Sca-cooks] Mongol garb & stuff

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Fri May 10 21:19:17 PDT 2002

I didn't mean to get into this but this post pushed me too far.  So, if I
don't know much about period Swiss does this mean that I can sell dirndls as
"Period" because they exist in Switzerland (some of it) now?  After all they
_are_ traditional!  Surely peasants wouldn't have changed much in 500 years.

Not to dig at Puppy, or his clan, but we wouldn't tolerate this type of
logic in the European groups of the SCA, so why is it fine when it is one of
the "heart of Asia" ones.

One of my fondest memories is of meeting Kiri at Pennsic X or XI when I had
been suffering through a plague of Ninja's thanks to Shogun.  I agreed at
that time that the Japanese and "other" personas should go and get their own
darn party together and stop bothering the rest of us.  Note I said "at that
time".

Then I met Kiri and Master Vong Mah, and some others who really knew their
stuff, and bothered to do more than read a single fiction book, or
romanticize cold blooded murders for hire (ninja).  Kiri and Vong Mah
mellowed my opinion out at least to the point where I admire anyone who does
real research and puts real effort in their persona rather than throwing on
an 19th century costume and enough rough-cut rocks to sink a camel to its
knees.

Regina Romsey