[Sca-cooks] Re: OOP 'fredo sauce????

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat May 11 14:31:07 PDT 2002

Also sprach Randy Goldberg MD:
>  > >I've been looking for an alfredo sauce for eons.......care to share? All
>the
>>  >ones I've seen are icky sounding.
>>
>>  Alfredo's restaurant in Rome is supposed to be the originator, and
>>  they use blazing hot pasta, with a little of the cooking water to
>>  emulsify the butter, a special unsalted white butter from somewhere
>>  up north, real parmaggiano-reggiano, salt and pepper, and toss until
>>  the sauce is a continuous, emulsified phase.
>>  Must be served and eaten hot.
>
>To clarify Master A's implicit but unspoken instruction - there is no
>"sauce" per se - the ingredients are mixed together WITH the pasta IN the
>serving bowl, and allowed to melt and emulsify on the heat of the pasta
>alone.

Correct. Sometimes I try to provide only the information and leave my
opinion out of it, lest I be accused of that ole Stuffy Purist thang.
This is the sort of thing that can happen when I do that.

But yes, the dish is fettucine Alfredo, fettucine served in the style
of Alfredo's restaurant, not an Alfredo sauce served over Dish X. And
yes, as Avraham surmises, it does make my teeth itch to hear talk of
Alfredo Sauce.

However, life is short and all flesh is as fettucine, so I try not to
worry too much about such things.

Adamantius, Stuffy Purist Except Where Cuskynoles Are Concerned

P.S. : There is _also_ no such thing as Carbonara Sauce ;-)