[Sca-cooks] Re: Period Hollandaise?

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun May 12 17:11:36 PDT 2002

I read through all these responses before
answering. I suspect that the recipe for
the "period hollandaise" may be the one
outlined under
Period asparagus and asparagus recipes in the
florilegium.
 http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/asparagus-msg.text.
The recipe comments keep saying 'much easier than
hollandaise'. Thomas L. posted this summation--
"This effectively stops the browning of the onions and the asparagus. At
this
point, you are mostly heating up the liquid, and blending in the
remaining
olive oil, to achieve a starch-thickened sauce. It will be velvety
smooth
and nicely thickened. Using the mortar beforehand significantly reduces
the
time it takes to achieve this. Stir constantly, so the starch and sugar
don't burn."

Is this the one?
There was another mention of hollandaise made this spring
under the discussions on blood oranges--
"Blood oranges were found by the crusaders on the island of Malta.
Hence the
name of the Hollandaise variante that uses their juice " Sauce Maltaise"

Hope this helps--

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis

El Hermoso Dormido queried: