[Sca-cooks] Re: OOP 'fredo sauce????

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun May 12 22:52:12 PDT 2002

Drakey related an interesting recipe:
> Hmm.  Odd.  My father learnt a recipe in Naples which he refers to as
> Spaghetti Carabonara which pours a mixture of sour cream, lots of
> beaten eggs, cooked bacon pieces, garlic, and onions (sometimes
> mushrooms) over hot strained spagetti in the pot that you cook the
> spaghetti in and stir vigourously until all the egg has cooked into
> scrambled egg like consistency and has coated the pasta in small
> chunks here and there. Very mundane and I probably eat it about once a
> month... Looking nothing like the cream and bacon sauce that smothers
> pasta in pasta carbonara...  Hmm. Odd.

Those bits of cooked egg among the pasta seems a bit strange, but
it does sound interesting. And it is just the kind of stuff I'm
likely to have lieing around the kitchen when the fresh meat is gone
and I don't feel like going to the grocery. And it sounds fairly
quick.

You said "cooked bacon pieces". Are the garlic and the onions
also cooked? If the onions are raw, it would seem like they would
still be crunchy, since the residual heat from the spegatti wouldn't
seem to cook them much. Perhaps this would work with dried onions
and dried mushrooms, which I'm even more likely to have around on
the spur of the moment.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net