[Sca-cooks] pirates

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon May 13 22:51:25 PDT 2002

Brandu suggested:
> Stefan, If you get the opportunity, you should open a Nautical file in
> the florilegium.

Actually, I have a few from various sources. Feel free to direct any
in your nautical group to these if you think they would be interested.
These are in the TAVEL section:
boat-building-msg (40K)  9/ 6/01    Building boats using medieval techniques.
med-ships-art     (23K)  6/30/98    "Medieval Ships” by Dom. Pedro de Alcazar.
Nav-Crosstaff-art (12K)  9/ 3/01    "The Navigational Cross-Staff"
                                       by Lord Simon fitz Tomas.
nav-inst-msg      (14K)  9/25/98    Medieval navigation instruments.
rope-msg          (12K) 11/16/99    Medieval ropemaking. Rope materials.
Seakeeping-p1-art (84K)  8/20/98    "Seakeeping", by Dom. Pedro de Alcazar.
                                       English naval power, 1450-1480. (1 of 2)
Seakeeping-p2-art (99K)  8/20/98    "Seakeeping" (part 2 of 2)
ships-bib         (18K)  6/21/96    Bibliography of ships and things nautical.
ships-msg         (90K)  5/24/01    Ships and shipbuilding. Sailor's food.

> The SCA_Nautical Yahoo group has a lot of useful stuff in the archives
> you could digest, especially from the first year while we were
> actively dispelling cultural myths among ourselves.

This would be nice. Unfortunately, I don't know when I will have the
time to spend a lot of time pilferring, err researching these archives.

> Id be happy to suggest some messages to use, but I do not have time
> right now. After mid June I should have time.

Please do. The best way for me would be to send me an entire thread
of likely messages. Although I will use what I can get. The less
overhead that I have to do, the better though. I have no deadlines,
so I can wait until you have the time.

Or if you can convince some of the more knowledgeable folks on
that list to write a few articles, these might be easier for new
folks to follow than the back and forth discussions while things
are getting debated and statements debunked.

Can you give me directions to get to this archive though, just in
case I do find a spare hour here or there? You can send this by
email rather than bothering the list with it.

Thanks,
  Stefan

PS: These comments apply to others on the multitude of other mail
lists out there. I can't keep up with many lists and the Rialto
seems to have pretty much died as far as having a variety of
interesting and varied subjects.
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net