[Sca-cooks] 12th Night Ideas

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue May 14 05:51:50 PDT 2002

If you check out several Elizabethan-era references, you'll find that the
premier dish for winter celebrations is Pork Brawn, a wonderful pickled pork
roast that can be made ahead of time and served with a mustard sauce.  If
you can find a copy of Peter Brear's wonderful book about Tudor kitchens:

Brears, Peter.  All the King's Cooks:  The Tudor Kitchens of Henry VIII at
Hampton Court Palace.London:  Souvenir Press, Ltd.,1999.

you'll find not only descriptions of the dish, but pictures of recreations
of it...complete with decorations.  The recipe I've used is from "Dining
with William Shakespeare" by Madge Lorwin.  If you don't have access to the
book, let me know and I'll send you the recipe.  In fact, you will find all
sorts of wonderful late period recipes in that book...unfortunately it is
out of print, and the occasional used copy will often bring high prices.

Let me know if you want the recipe....

Kiri