[Sca-cooks] Chai, was Introduction and Question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue May 14 19:33:10 PDT 2002

Also sprach Susan Fox-Davis:
>Or even The La Brea Tar Pits.
>
>Daniel Myers wrote:
>
>>  You left out "shrimp scampi".
>>
>>  Quoted from lilinah at earthlink.net - 5/13/02, 10:15 AM -0700:
>>  >Chai in Italy in period? Moo-ooo. (explanation below)
>>  >
>>  >Chai is a word that means "tea". That's it. That's all it means.
>>  >(Related to Chinese"cha", source of the word for tea in many
>>  >languages, including our own)
>>  >
>>  >I gag and mutter abusive language under my breath every time i see a
>>  >package of "chai tea". That's just redundant. Think a pound of coffee
>>  >coffee or a dozen eggs eggs or a quart of milk milk or a can of beer
>  > >beer.

Sorry, I missed this one earlier, but must respectfully point out
that "shrimp scampi" is a dish normally made from scampi (which are a
brackish-water, bay prawn, similar to the Dublin Bay prawn), cooked
with shrimp as a substitute. (Normally this involves a
garlic/butter/lemon and-or wine sauce and a broiler.)

Its name, while a tad silly, isn't really a redundancy in the way
"chai tea" is... "chai" and "tea" are basically the same word, while
"shrimp" and "scampi" are not.

Adamantius, nomenclature dude