[Sca-cooks] Cane vs Beet sugar

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Wed May 15 07:59:14 PDT 2002

--- Sandra Kisner <sjk3 at admin.is.cornell.edu> wrote:
> >My husband insists that he can tell the difference
> between cane and beet
> >sugar by the smell, but AFAIK there is no real
> difference between the two
> >sugars WRT chemical properties. I've used cane and
> beet sugar
> >interchangeably for doing things like caramel
> andcooked fondant, and they
> >act just the same.
> >
> >Margaret (not Maire)
>
>      He may not be alone.  A couple of years ago
> some bird-watchers I know from a list posted a long,
> detailed note about observances they had made with
> hummingbirds.  Apparently they can tell the
> difference, and will avoid a feeder that has been
> filled with beet-sugar solution, but will avidly
> feed at the same feeder (in the same location) when
> filled with a solution prepared from cane sugar.  I
> have no idea why.  I just buy whatever sugar is on
> sale (not very often, as I go through it very
> slowly).

There is a difference. I can't tell now, but I
remember when I moved from DC to Oregon as a kid, I
mentioned that the sugar tasted funny. Turned out that
I'd been having Cane sugar in DC, and most of it in
Oregon was beet sugar.

Haven't had a reason to taste test in years- I just
don't use sugar for much, but I'd be interested in
comparing once again....

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,