[Sca-cooks] Cane vs Beet sugar

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at admin.is.cornell.edu
Wed May 15 07:44:28 PDT 2002

>My husband insists that he can tell the difference between cane and beet
>sugar by the smell, but AFAIK there is no real difference between the two
>sugars WRT chemical properties. I've used cane and beet sugar
>interchangeably for doing things like caramel andcooked fondant, and they
>act just the same.
>
>Margaret (not Maire)

     He may not be alone.  A couple of years ago some bird-watchers I know from a list posted a long, detailed note about observances they had made with hummingbirds.  Apparently they can tell the difference, and will avoid a feeder that has been filled with beet-sugar solution, but will avidly feed at the same feeder (in the same location) when filled with a solution prepared from cane sugar.  I have no idea why.  I just buy whatever sugar is on sale (not very often, as I go through it very slowly).

Sandra Kisner
sjk3 at cornell.edu