[Sca-cooks] Sourdough Starter Question

Rosine rosine at sybercom.net
Wed May 15 21:41:31 PDT 2002

   I bought the San Francisco starter while in SF (this back in '78) and it
actually survived a plane trip to Yokosuka Japan, then three years later,
another trip to Hawaii... (carrying "food items" on a plane was a lot easier
back then!). It died finally when I forgot to feed it... until it died,
however, the distinctive "tang" of the San Francisco yeast strain was strong
and clear.
   Years later, I bought another packet of dry starter in, of all places,
Disneyworld Fla. It did quite well too, and again, the flavor stayed sharp -
until I started taking it backpacking with my Boy Scouts. It appears that
the constant change from crockpot-in-refrigerator to warm/cool/warm again
crock in backpack or tent did make an appreciable difference. The flavor
sweetened a bit over time.
   I've got a new packet of San Fran yeast (thanks to Foods of All Nations,
doncha know - and Kiri, they're reopening sometime in the next few weeks),
and it's growing well, poor little baby 3-day-old that it is. The scent, if
you can take my word for it, is already "right".

Rosine