Wok Cooking Was Re: [Sca-cooks] I'm back

Marian Marian at TheRosenbergFamilies.Net
Wed May 15 21:45:51 PDT 2002

> Message: 11
> Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 23:36:16 -0500
> To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
> From: Gorgeous Muiredach <muiredach at bmee.net>
> Subject: Wok cooking Was Re: [Sca-cooks] I'm back

> Greetings, and welcome back.

> >I need some help learning to make Chinese food, or at the very
> >least, how to cook with a wok.  If there is anyone who will be
> >at Pennsic (or who lives near Baltimore) that is willing to give
> >me lessons, I will be very grateful.  I'll be going to China for
> >10 months and I want to be able to cook local.  Asian cuisine
> >has always been one of those things that reasonably priced
> >resteraunts do so much better than I, that I have never bothered
> >to learn.

> Chances are, you won't be able to cook local, until you're there, but
> chances are you'll pick things up right quick like.  There is not much to
> using a wok to cook.  Recipes and flavour combinations, I can't really
> teach you, and I'd say 95% of what you'll find on this side of the pond is
> not quite what it is out in China.

Since they say I'll only be teaching 20 hours a week, I expect
to do my best to immediately find someone who is willing to
trade cooking lessons for additional English lessons.

(I'm an incorrigible enough cook that expensive frying pans are
on my list of things to bring with me.)

> Chinese dishes tend to use much less meat than what we're used to here.

I usually cook vegetarian-esque so this isn't a real problem.
(Meat is stored in the freezer, defrosting meat requires
significant planning in advance.  Vegetables do not require
defrosting.)

> Hope you have lots of fun in China.  Whereabouts will you be going?

Hebei province.  Which I would like to know a lot more about (in
case there is anyone lurking about with specific knowledge of
Chinese provinces) but the definitive English language website
on Hebei (put out by them and linked to by many of the travel
sites) is down and has been down for weeks.

I won't know where in Hebei until I get my school assignment
next month.

-M