Wok Cooking Was Re: [Sca-cooks] I'm back

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Wed May 15 22:22:14 PDT 2002

>Since they say I'll only be teaching 20 hours a week, I expect
>to do my best to immediately find someone who is willing to
>trade cooking lessons for additional English lessons.

Have fun.  Remember that you are, and will *always* be a gwai-loh, a
barbarian...  The worse thing you can do is arrive with any kind of attitude...

>(I'm an incorrigible enough cook that expensive frying pans are
>on my list of things to bring with me.)

Don't bother.  They are heavy, bulky, and pointless to bring.  You'll get
to use what's local, which likely means wok.  Only way to learn is to do.

Besides, while fancy pots and pans are helpful, a good cook can create
delectable meals using just about anything...

>I usually cook vegetarian-esque so this isn't a real problem.
>(Meat is stored in the freezer, defrosting meat requires
>significant planning in advance.  Vegetables do not require
>defrosting.)

Thank you.  I had *never* heard that argument for being a vegetarian.  I
shall remember it! :-)

> > Hope you have lots of fun in China.  Whereabouts will you be going?
>
>Hebei province.

Saddly, I know nothing of it.

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Shire of Forth Castle (in transit)