[Sca-cooks] Story about carrots!

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri May 17 13:04:58 PDT 2002

> http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/DailyNews/purplecarrots020517.html
> So I thought carrots were in England before the 15th century?

Yes, says John Harvey, AFAIRC.

Harvey, J.H. "Vegetables in the Middle Ages" Garden History 12 (2), p.
89-99, 1984.

> The idea of purple and orange carrots is a little much. Or course I think
> the green and purple ketchup is absolutely gross too.

Huh?
Ketchups come in all varieties (if you mean the 19th century sauces...)
and the idea of being able to buy purple carrots, even if they aren't the
exact same breed as the period purple ones, is really cool.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
	"Index your brain."