[Sca-cooks] Story about carrots!

Fri May 17 13:48:28 PDT 2002

With a few minutes to kill and a digest before me, I'll jump in.

Yes, there were carrots in England before the 15th Century, Daucus carota
carota and a different wild species that (IIRC) is native to the Isles.

After the close of the Hundred Year's War, a number of Flemings migrated to
England and brought with them the yellow and red varieties of carrots.  They
began commercial farming and marketing the carrots across England.
Therefore, what most people would consider a carrot was brought to England
in the 15th Century.

Bear