[Sca-cooks] Irish/Scottish cheese mixup

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat May 18 08:56:50 PDT 2002

Also sprach Dan Phelps:
>Sorry, for some rather odd reason I saw/read Irish but thought Scottish.
>
>Regards IRISH cheese is there a dichotomy between The Irish Republic and
>Northern Ireland as commercially at least it would seem to me that they
>would be two different sources.

Yup. UK Offshore and Ireland. In general, though, it seems as if by
default, "Ireland" refers to the Republic in the south, if you're
referring to political rather than geographical entities. The main
exception to this that I can think of is Jameson's, which is
allegedly the Protestant whiskey of Ireland, as opposed to
Bushmill's, allegedly the Catholic whiskey, while nobody disputes
Jameson's claim to being Irish ;-) .

Presumably there's some kind of legal whiskey Rheinheitsgebot at
work, defining what can and can not be so classified, as per
manufacturing process.

The Irish Cheese to which Olwen may be referring could be something
like Blarney, a commercial brand name for a commonly exported,
pasteurized Irish cheese. It's an inoffensive white cheese, a little
like white cheddar, only milder, something like Monterey Jack, as I
recall.

Adamantius