Languages (was Re: [Sca-cooks] globetrotting)

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Sun May 19 15:31:55 PDT 2002

    But then there was this girl I knew in college (just a wonton short of a
pu-pu platter) who was SO into Tolkein that she was utterly fluent in
Sinadarin (and its many variants). She would mutter in elvish, make obscure
elvish puns (then laugh at her own cleverness while we simply looked at her
as though she had suddenly developed a third eye), scrawl Sindarin slogans
on the wall . . . a premature perv elf fancier. We weren't quite sure what
planet she was from, but we were all quite sure we hadn't yet established
diplomatic relations. And this was before any of us had ever heard of the
SCA. Gawd, she's probably a Laurel by now.
    As long as you didn't get her going on the sad state of Middle earth,
she was OK . . . though I doubt she knew who the president was at the time.
There's multi lingual, and then there's multi universal . . .
    I also had a German professor who was Italian, and had his Masters in
French. He flustered easily, and it was always great fun to see how many
languages we could get him to use in a single sentence . . . especially if
you posed a question in bastard latin . . .

    Sieggy