Languages (was Re: [Sca-cooks] globetrotting)

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Sun May 19 15:06:45 PDT 2002

At 02:43 PM 5/19/2002, you wrote:
>Ana, your scout in Outremer, said:
> > Right, Philippa! I am always thinking in three languages actually :(
> > Spanish, my first one, Swedish  my second one and English, the third
> > language I use...
>
>Wow. Do you actually think in these languages? Or do you translate them
>to Spanish?

I don't know about Ana, but...  English is my fourth language.  French
being my first, Greek my second, Italian my third.  I also am conversant
(not fluent) in Sign Language, and can understand someone speaking *slowly*
in Spanish!

I think both in French and English, and at times it throws me for loops,
because when I get tired, I apparently switch languages without thinking,
nor realizing what I do...  My wife used to poke me in the ribs and tell me
"in English please"...  And I'd be boggled, because I had no clue I'd
stopped speaking English...

I think fluency in other languages is wonderful, as it forces you to change
your pattern of thinking.  When you reach a good solid point, where you are
comfortable talking in the other language, you often have to change the way
you think, as syntax is completely different.

I should point out that it also boggles me the number of people in the US
that are barely able to speak English, and no other language, when I look
at Europe, where the majority of people know a couple languages, if not two
and three...  But that's another topic entirely, and admitedly, a
generalization :-)

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Shire of Forth Castle (in transit)
Meridies