[Sca-cooks] food question

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun May 19 21:16:26 PDT 2002

Coffee is from Africa, Abyssinia to be precise, although there are a couple
other species spread through the Congo basin and in West Africa which are
cultivated these days.

It was known as a medicine as early as 900 CE in Persia, but it's use as a
beverage is probably no earlier than 1250.  It's general use in the Islamic
world begins around 1450 in Yemen and southern Arabia.  By the time it
reached Egypt, the Reconquest had taken Spain.

The earliest European usage is Northern Italy in the last quarter of the
16th Century (IIRC).  General European use is all post-Period.

Bear