[Sca-cooks] food question

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon May 20 15:56:31 PDT 2002

In a message dated 5/19/2002 9:13:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ldybella at earthlink.net writes:

> the salad.. tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, red, yellow and
> green peppers..
> made me wonder if there was, somewhere a list of what are
> considered
> 'new world foods' I know tomatoes are.. but are green pepers or
> cucumbers?

I know bell peppers are new world, as are capsicums (hot peppers) - not sure
about cucumbers.

> While watching Food Channel, there was this show about Morroco
> and Tajines.. and then one about India..   This chef cooked a
> 'traditional' meal.. It looked like a giant paella to me.. but he
> had
> Tomatoes in it.  That got me to wondering how long a dish has to
> be cooked
> before It is called ''traditional' any ideas?

Well, you know that "traditional" (and nasty) green bean casserole that so
many people (including my mother-in-law) think is obligatory for
Thanksgiving/Christmas?  It was a recipe pushed by Betty Crocker or one of
the other recipe companies in the 50's, and it's been "traditional" for
years, so it doesn't have to be very long.

Brangwayna