[Sca-cooks] food question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon May 20 16:21:15 PDT 2002

Also sprach Bronwynmgn at aol.com:
>Well, you know that "traditional" (and nasty) green bean casserole that so
>many people (including my mother-in-law) think is obligatory for
>Thanksgiving/Christmas?

It's not nasty if you make it with real ingredients, but very few
people do. I once made some for a late November slot at the corporate
dining room I worked in (call it a four-star tax dodge), using those
little haricots vert, a mushroom veloute, and real floured, fried
onion shreds. We even made up some bogus French name for it,
something like Gratin de Haricots Vert Veloute, a la Durkee.

I used to get away with stuff like this pretty regularly. ;-) Wealthy
executives used to come looking for me, and start to complain that I
had fed them green bean casserole for their $50 on the expense
account (this included other foods, wine, etc.), and I would ask them
if it was good or bad... they would admit it was pretty good, and
laugh...

>   It was a recipe pushed by Betty Crocker or one of
>the other recipe companies in the 50's, and it's been "traditional" for
>years, so it doesn't have to be very long.

I think it was a General Foods thing, where they own several brands,
such as Birdseye or Green Giant (or some other company that cans or
freezes veggies), Campbell's Soup, and Durkee (of the infamous French
Fried Chemical Onion Rings). Or at least something along those lines.

Adamantius